RE: [OT] Novell takes over SuSE (was: 'Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers')

One thing they can't do.  Closed source.  :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Richard Crawford
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 11:28 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [OT] Novell takes over SuSE (was: 'Red Hat recommends
Windows for consumers')

Joe Polk said:
> I think this was a stupid thing for RH to say (re: Windows). RH has
> been  conceding the desktop for a few years now. I think they just
> don't understand  what the market has been dictating. Basically, many
> companies are trying to  undo what Novell did. They are trying to take

> on the Enterprise and that  alone. Yes, it's having some success I'll
> agree but to neglect the users  completely is to neglect what got them

> here. Caldera did a very similar  thing. I hate to see this trend and
> I think RH is turning a shoulder to the  community in doing so. As for

> SuSe, I might just make that switch. I really hope Novell can take
> Linux to heights that RH seems to be willing to neglect.

I think that Novell's takeover of SuSE is really, really interesting,
especially since they recently purchased Ximian as well.  I imagine
they'll keep the Linux line safe and sound, but it will be really
interesting to see what they do with it.

Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford

AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Y!: rscrawford
MSN: underpope@xxxxxxxxxxx
invisible to the eye." --Antoine de Saint Exupéry