"ifdown eth1" doesn't work

Hi Folks!

When I start my Linux RH 7.3, all seems to be ok and both networkcards are up and running. But when I shutdown the workstation, Linux hangs at eth1. Only the reset button can help.

Also when I stop the network on the running system (service network stop), it cannot complete the task (it hangs at eth1). The same is when I enter 'ifdown eth1' (it hangs and can only be interrupted with "ctrl-c" -> no message is beeing written into /var/log/messages).

'ifconfig eth1 down' works all the time. 'service network start' works too, even though /var/log/message reports that eth1 couldn't be found (but two lines down it says that eth1 was successfully started).

/etc/modules.conf seems to be ok

Does anyone have an idea what this could be. At eth1 there is a Intel 100Mbit networkcard, at eth0 there is a Intel 1000Mbit nerworkcard. The same configuration is working on another Linux-PC with the same configuration (cloned PC).

Thanks for your help!
Marcel Fritzenwallner