From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of T. Ribbrock
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 7:26 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:24:22PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Well. I *can* see his point, at least a little bit - but it still
> > feels strange, this coming from Red Hat. Anybody else who shares
> > this view?
>
> Do *you* disagree?

Yes. I don't think it was very smart. Seing the recent wave of worms and
viruses, I regard it as downright dangerous to recommend Windows to any
home user. I also think it was dangerous to Linux, as it will give MS
more leverage to complete the lock-in they're after. "Linux will be
ready in a few years" - great, but it might be too late then. The third
issue I have is the possible impact of this statement on what PHBs think
in business ("Gee, if I can't even use it at home..."). That shouldn't
happen, but I think we all know it will happen, unfortunately.

Having said that, I can see the point in toning down the expectations of
potential migrants, as a scared off newbie would be bad for Linux'
future as well. Nonetheless, I still think we should get as many home
users to move as possible, 'cause many of them already can. I mean, what
*is* the average home user? When I think of "the average home user", I
think of people like my dad or my wife - e-mail, web, office apps, maybe
the odd dabbling with photos (either digital camera or
scanner) - that's all possible right now. Installation is an issue, but
on the other hand, the people I have in mind never install anything
themselves, anyway - they either buy pre-installed or ask their
son/neighbour/etc.pp. - and that's not in any way specific to Windows.
Another thing that comes up is ease of use. Well, Windows isn't easy to
use - I learned that lesson rather quickly when my father bought his
first PC, with no previous experience. I've seen the other version as
well: My wife is using Linux at home as well since a couple of years and
although her only experience was Windows, she's very happy with the
system. She really surprised me, when she asked to dump KDE and replace
it with the GUI I use: Window Maker. Just proves that ease of use isn't
that easy to pinpoint. Nonetheless, I wouldn't necessary recommend Linux
to that type of user
- I'd rather point in the general direction of Apple's MacIntosh, as
I've seen complete newbies getting the hang of MacOS rather quickly,
when compared to Windows.

That leaves the "spoil sports" :-) : Gamers. It appears that Windows is
a reasonable gaming platform (I wouldn't know). Hence, to that type of
user, Windows might be the only alternative, short of a console. There
isn't much point in denying that.

Further on, I fail to see the point of the statement from a Red Hat
point of view: They're not even offering any product for the typical
home user anymore - they said themselves that they're after the
businesses. Hence, why this statement? It just doesn't feel right.

Cheerio,

Thomas
<==