Re: Redhat 9.0 development environment wierdness...

Thank you for your reply Steve.

Rather than include your original message here I just have a few comments
to make.  I've now made my decision to cut my losses and bail from RH as a
deployment platform.  The comments below outline my reasons for it, I will
anxiously await the day when RH focuses on producing a stable operating
system with a sane development environment instead of ramrodding everyone
into using their versions of the packages.  To assume that everyone has RH
configured the same way or is going to use it for the same purpose is
non-sensical.  One of the most significant reasons why we use
UNIX/FreeBSD/Linux in the first place is being able to depend upon a
stable core OS on which to build applications.  Apparently RH has a
misguided model that extends this concept into the 'application space'.
They mise as well just build all these applications into the kernel and be
done with it.  Then you can just buy the kernel which includes the
applications you want.  Not only that, if you want support you need to use
their binary packages.  If I'm paying money, I want support - period.  If
they lack the expertise to support users who want to develop applications
on their platform then the whole point of an "enterprise Redhat" is
somewhat of an oxymoron, because that's what 'enterprise customers' do.
What's next, we can only install PHP and PERL scripts which Redhat has
written?

In any event, here are my reasons for setting a policy of 'no more Redhat':

#1. I am aware that there are numerous fixes out there for solving these
development problems - the problem is I have to specifically patch source
code which compiles fine everywhere else except RH 9.x.  This seems absurd
to me.

#2. I cannot rely upon RPMs because they do not have the compile-time
options I need.  Particularly with respect to PHP, Apache, and qmail.
Since I can't get beyond these widely supported packages (without
patching), I see little point in moving on to more complex packages.

#3. I read on another thread that apparently RH 'backpatches' Apache
keeping the same version number as when they released a version of RH.
What a monstrosity.

#4. Apparently there is some binary compatibility wierdness whereby my RH
7.x binaries won't work on 9.x.  It's as if the short-term memory of RH
Linux is about .5 releases long and after that you better hope to God
someone compiled an RPM for your new version.

#5. I categorically deny the assertion I have read elsewhere that the
'proper way to use Linux' is to use RPM's.  The proper way to use anything
is what is best for your particular needs.  The fact is that RH and
Microsoft seem to be the only OS companies out there right now who don't
get this simple point.  If RPM's are the 'proper way' to use RH than by
God I better be able to get RPM binaries compiled in any of the variety of
forms I might need.  The fact that RH has laid forth a policy they simply
cannot support is inexcusable to me.  Either make the development
environment work or give us enough RPM's that we can download the one with
the options we need.  To put customer's between a rock and a hard-place
like this is downright crass of Redhat.

#6. I am beyond frustrated with Redhat and I have basically wasted tons of
time on this nonsense.  For what this has cost me I could have purchased a
very nice Sun and everything would be working fine right now.  Instead,
nothing is done, and I have an expensive pile of junk sitting here which
is utterly useless to me.

Greg Saylor