Re: NT domain to Linux ??

Ken Rossman wrote
> One other gotcha I ran into, by the way, was that a centralized password
> authentication scheme could run into trouble when there were Sun/Solaris
> machines in the mix that were earlier than Solaris 9.  The reason is
> that MD5 encryption (and someone correct me if I am wrong about this)
> is what Linux (and other systems these days) are using for password
> encryption, and Solaris, earlier than S9, did not offer the option to
> plug in alternate encryption such as MD5 ("crypt" is apparently the
> default -- I am still learning about this).

True, although if you use ssh and set up your authorized_keys, it won't
matter, and you can mix-n-match as much as you'd like.  If you want users to
have to type their passwords, or if folks are logging in on the console,
you're asbolutely correct, in my experience.

justinb

--
Justin Banks
Constant Data, Inc.