Re: Rediscovering my internet connection.

At 11:49 11/3/2003, you wrote:
I have a machine running Redhat 7.2 which had until recently been connecting
to the net via an internal modem and sharing the connection with other
machines. However, I've recently upgraded to DSL and am using a router to
connect all the machines to the new connection. All is fine except for the
Linux box which is not connecting what do I need to change or alter to
ensure that it will source it's internet connection from the router?

You need to make sure that you have the following set up (assuming that you have eth0 as the network card):

In /etc/sysconfig/network:
HOSTNAME=machine.domain.com
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, make sure that "GATEWAY=" is set to the IP address of the router. Finally, as root issue the command "service network restart".

If this doesn't work immediately, please post the output of "ifconfig -a" and "route -n", and give us the IP address of your machine and the router.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx