Re: CUPS nightmare revisited

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 09:00, Bill Johnson <Bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> Message: 23
> Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 08:56:02 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bill Johnson <Bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: CUPS nightmare revisited (fwd)

> I posted this originally on the Fedora list, and got some good responses.
> However, I still cannot get printing to work between my Laptop (running
> RH8.0) and my server (running Fedora Core .95 beta).  If you can stomach
> the rambling information below, perhaps someone on this larger list might
> know the answer.

I had similar troubles with cups on RH9, and I've decided that the
Redhat print-conf-gui thing is broken; although it may work for a local
printer, but it does *not* create a viable cups server.

My advice would be to avoid that entirely, and setup your cups server by
following the cups docs (ie, go through each config option and set it
manually), and make sure you have the appropriate access controls, etc.
If you do that, it should work.

Then each client setup is as simple as putting the cups-server hostname
in /etc/cups/client.conf and you're done.  Again, avoid the RH print gui
thing on both cups server and clients.

That said, you will need to use the cups CLI or web interface to manage
print jobs, etc.  This would be my approach until the RH printer widget
works properly.

HTH, Steve

--
Stephen Arnold <arnold.steve@xxxxxxxxx>