Making sure one and only one copy of a process is always running

Hello, all:

I am trying to create a job which will run for a long time, so I need to make sure that it:

* starts up automatically

* is always running

* checks to see if it is running and restarts itself if the previous instance died

* never runs two copies of itself

I have read through the files in /etc/rc.d/init.d for hints, since I know that somehow they put the PID in a file and then check that file to see if it's running or not. Duplicating this functionality is one possibility.

I am running a shell script that runs an rsync process, so perhaps even something as simple as checking the exit status of rsync with a while loop inside the script would work. However, I don't know how to do that, and my reading of the bash man page has not provided enough enlightenment.

Anyone care to offer suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx