Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

T. Ribbrock wrote:

Well, at home, my firewall/server has been running OpenBSD for a long
time now, as I'm very happy with their security policy. Also, contrary
to most Linux distros, OpenBSD supports Sparc (my firewall/server is an
UltraSparc 5). On the desktop, I've stayed with RHL7.3 up until now,
as I was waiting for RHL8.2, but that one never materialized. Instead,
we now have this change of policy from RH, which caused me to
reconsider my options. I decided to migrate my laptop and two of my
desktops to Mandrake 9.1/9.2 and I'll probably migrate one desktop to
Fedora and keep the last x86 on RHL7.3 for the time being.
As for Mandrake, it's too early to judge their support, but I
have to say I'm rather impressed by urpmi. It seems to work really
well, as far as I can judge it after using it such a short time. I
never bothered with up2date, as I was too lazy to find out how all
that subscription stuff works (I rather had my own scripts), but urpmi
got me hooked immediately. And you don't need an account. I'd say,
it's at least another option to consider.

Cheerio,

Thomas

urpmi works ok with RH? I'm just wondering because everything that I just looked at mentioned Mandrake. Just wanted to make sure it works fine for RH also before I try it. This is exactly the kind of thing i was looking for as an alternative to up2date.

Thanks
Aaron