Re: Firewall: Thoroughly Confused

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 21:04, Matthew Galgoci wrote:

> You can bump up the max connections tracked via the sysctly
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max, which defaults to 16352 (at least on my kernel).
>
> Think about what would happen if your mail server is doing mail to hundreds of hosts, each
> connection out or in taking 1 slot in the table, and each mail required multiple dns lookups,
> each of which requires a connection to be tracked.

Thanks. An interesting aside that - perhaps - you could comment on was
offered by an IPTables devotee. His claim is that I caused these
problems by introducing eth0:1 into the server (I have two interfaces
with three internal IPs).

His suggestion was to add the virtual IP through "IP add", avoiding
ifcfg/ifconfig. Apparently, this method can create multiple IPs on a
device that are all peers (for lack of a better term).

In fact, I noticed a consistent inconsistency between NAT and the actual
incoming interface where the incoming IP was correct but showed up on
the wrong interface in the logs.

I find all of this a bit bewildering because - if correct - it means
that ifconfig is inherently flawed - I think. Frankly I lack the skills
to fully appreciate or diagnose the matter. If I have some time next
week, I'll experiment on a laptop.