Re: Installing Acrobat Reader

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Frederic on ImediatiX wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I'm trying to learn about linux and how to use it. Please direct me to a
> better suited list for beginners if you think I ask too basic questions.
> Thanks.
>
> I downloaded Acrobat Reader 5 for Linux and installed it : i.e. I ran
> the INSTALL script (under root). I did this because I couldn't open
> VMware PDFs with the default RH9 application 'ggv'. Now how do I
>
> - launch acrobat
>
> - tell my system to use Acrobat reader as default application for PDFs ?
>
> Thanks.
> Kind regards,
> Frederic

You could uninstall the Acrobat you installed and get a version packaged
as an RPM instead.  The ones available at Gurulabs (www.gurulabs.com) take
care of adding Acrobat to the menu, and they may make it the default app
for PDFs as well.  They also fix an annoying problem that prevents the
standard Acrobat installation from working due to character set
incompatibilities.

In general, it's a good idea to look for RPM packages for software you
want to install.  If they are available, they offer many advantages over
tarballs (IMHO).

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences