Re: How to speed up the Linux System

%% chandrachud nanduri <nmchandrachud@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  cn> Hi Guys , Off late , I have noticed that my system has become very
  cn> slow . I have GNOME desktop environment as my default environment
  cn> . I do not have many services on . Any application , as small as a
  cn> Konsole takes ages to open . The Office Applications takes
  cn> centuries to open . How do I make my system speed up . Do I have
  cn> to reinstall?

Have you made any changes to your system recently?

When things are starting up slowly, is the system busy?  Do you hear
disk access (indicating swapping) or, if you have a system monitor on
your toolbar do you see lots of activity?

Or, is your system quiet but things just take a long time to get going?

In the former case, I'd use top or similar to see if anything is running
on your system and taking up a lot of resources, perhaps that you don't
realize.

In the latter case, check your /etc/hosts file and make sure there's an
entry for your system, and/or that you can resolve your hostname through
DNS.  Most applications in UNIX, especially graphical apps, do some kind
of network access and if your system can't resolve its own hostname it
_really_ slows things down.

  cn> Also , my friends say that GNOME is much slower than KDE . Is this
  cn> true ?

No.