Redhat 8: mozilla-1.4.1 becomes unkillable when Inbox hits 1 GB?!

I've been happily using Red Hat 8 and Mozilla (now 1.4.1) for some time,
but today I ran into a curious problem.
Three times in a row, when I tried to fetch messages, Mozilla stopped
responding, and couldn't be killed, even with kill -9.
The unkillable process was in state R.
Attaching to that process with strace yields no syscalls.
The Inbox it was trying to fetch is of size 1007303668, which is
about 30k shy of 1GB.  I repeated this twice after rebooting.
e2fsck -f showed the filesystem was fine, no errors.
Sadly, when I tried to repeat the test a fourth time using strace
right from the start, I was unable to repeat the hang;
it sailed on happily past where it had gotten stuck before, and
my Inbox is now larger than
1 GB.  I'm hoping the problem will stay gone.

Perhaps Red Hat 8's kernel goes bonkers when
Mozilla tries to extend Inbox to exactly 1GB?
Who knows.  It's a very odd thing.  I'll post again if the
strange hang recurs.
- Dan