RE: KDE Problem

I don't think anyone is the wrong person to be using Linux.  I have had
Windows installations that would not install, and in fact just kept
rebooting the PC.  Most people buy a computer with the OS pre installed,
so they don't have these types of issues.  Sounds like something is just
going on.  Have  you had your system up and working fine before, and
have you possibly been running as root and not as  your local user and
doing a bunch of stuff?  That wouldn't be good.  Only go root for
something deliberate and precise (unless you know what  you are playing
with to get working, or if you're just experimenting with a system...so
it doesn't matter if you rip it all up).

I once installed Debian, Solaris x86, and Slackware all on the same box
in the same evening just to mess with each of them.  Solaris x86 ran
like a dog.  But, it was fun experimenting.  If you were planning on
using the box for anything important than be very deliberate.

Anyways, just trying to get you to feel experimental with the Linux
game.  It has been more enjoyable for me than Windows ever could be, and
I like to share.  But, onto the question.  You can find out things that
the system tells you at boot up you may have missed by looking at
/var/log/dmesg and /var/log/boot.log* Look for something to say mounting
read only and things like that.  This shouldn't be happening though
sometimes if the kernel thinks it will do more damage it will get funky
on you like that and mount in read only mode for file repairs.  But, I
think this must not be the case.  You are getting Xwindows and other
things to come up (right?), which means the apps are writing to their
log files, or I believe you would be getting other failures from some
application some where.  Your X does come up correct(just in KDE)? Are
you logged in as root?  I happen to use KDE exclusively.  I can't stand
Gnome..not sure why over all, but the file dialogs look like Windows 3.x
to me.  That and Nautilus is annoying to me.  Personal I guess.  :-P
Hope that helps a bit though...the files that is.

Wade