From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Bo Peng
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 3:27 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: backup a whole disk?

Hi,

What is the best way to backup a whole disk? (Like ghost under
DOS/Windows?) Can I simply
  dd -if /dev/hde -of /home/backup/backip.img
and dd it back when necessary?

This, if feasible, is not at all efficient since empty spaces are also
copied. Is there any better way? I can not use tar/cp -r since I would
like to keep partition information as well.

The whole story is that I need to backup a disk before I resize an ext3
partition on it. I hope parted will do the job well. Any success story?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Bo Peng