Re: using ssh.com windows client with linux openssh server

You don't want mode 777, which is too insecure. Use mode 700 which won't
let anyone else see your public key.

-Dominic

Dominic Rivera
(503) 947-7308
dominic.rivera@xxxxxxxxxxx

>>> redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/27/03 12:02PM >>>
I was wondering if anyone could give me some help with this. I have a
windows machine running the ssh client from ssh.com

I have a rh9 box running the openssh server. I can connect using my
username/password. But i am trying to set it up so i can log in using
public key authentication and its failing. I generated a key, converted
it
to openssh format
(https://support.ssh.com/rqcustomer/servlet/kb?page=kb_info&defid=1951)

I ran sshd in debug mode and the only obvious error message i found
was:

debug1: trying public key file /home/merk/.ssh/authorized_keys2
Authentication refused: bad ownership or modes for file
/home/merk/.ssh/authorized_keys2

I set ownership to my home dir, the ssh dir and the key file to
merk:users
and mode to 777 but I still get that error message. Any ideas as to
what i
am doing wrong?

ian