RE: Unable to edit / list using crontab -- for HUGH

Hi Abhijit:

I have retried a few things here but I am unable to duplicate what
you are seeing. I do not know of anything further to try with the
"crontab" command directly but here are a couple of questions that
may or may not be applicable:

 1. What do you mean by "as user root"? Are you logging in as root,
    logging in as another user and using "su" or "su -" to change
    to root or using "sudo" to run "crontab"?

 2. What are the permissions and ownership of the crontab files
    (in /var/spool/cron).

 3. What are the contents of your /etc/cron.allow and /etc/cron.deny
    file (if any)?

 4. Please supply exact examples of commands that are failing

Let's see what these look like.

I know that you are a newbie so take the following as a gentle hint.
Others have commented about trimming quoted posts - take them to
heart. Please bear in mind that the list member's participation is
entirely voluntary. We contribute where and when we can and when
time is available. I am a "newbie" to linux as well so bear in mind
that my abilities are limited. Keeping the discussion on the list
will allow others with more experience to also contribute.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

From: Abhijit Das Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 05:10

> Hi Hugh
>
> Any idea why i am getting this err ? any other things to check ?
> i am unable to crontab -l or crontab -e as user root. i am
> getting the same
> err msg.
> i am however able to do crontab -u -e xxx where xxx is my other user.
> doing a crontab -l or crontab -e as my other user works fine. rest what i
> did to check cron i have mentioned in my earlier email
>
> anybody - any suggestions please
>
> thx
> Abhijit

[snip]