Re: Thoughts on Fedora

At 18:36 10/26/2003, Justin Banks wrote:
Peter B. West wrote
> So what's your opinion of RH9, both for commercial and personal use.  I
> upgraded my 7.3 personal systems to 9 [...] and I have
> never had so many things break on an upgrade before.

I'll chime in here, just because I feel strongly about this. RH9 broke so
many things it was a disgrace.

For the sake of counterpoint and playing devil's advocate, I have 3 workstations, 2 notebooks, and about 10 servers on RH9. All were clean installs, not upgrades. A variety of software is run, all installed using RPM and obtained either from Red Hat, FreshRPMS, Fedora Project, or Freshmeat/Sourceforge. Not one single machine has given me a single minute's trouble since they were installed and put online (pretty much right after 9 came out).

I'm happily running my home and my small webhosting business as well as several firewall/gateway/netserver boxen on 9, and making money off them. I also do a fair bit of Q&A for friends who run Red Hat, and so far none of them have complained about anything wrong either. Sorry you two had problems (and I am aware that yes, there were some problems with 9) but, your mileage may vary!

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx