Re: USRobotics Modem Driver

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 01:08:33AM +0400, Harish Sabnani wrote:
> Thanks for yr help, I tried this but and when I query the modem in KPPP I
> get an error that the modem is busy!
> I believe  the real issue is in loading the appropirate module for USR
> external modem?Any suggestions abt where will I find the module?Its supposed
> to be PnP which means that the kernel loads the module when it boots but in
> this case I dont see that. Pls advice, my understanding is limited.

If it's just an ordinary serial modem (not USB, right?) there are no
special modules involved.

if you know what serial port it's attached to, you might try verifying
that the port is really alive by using "setserial -g /dev/ttyS0" or ttyS1
or whatever the device actually is. That should report the properties
of the serial port, or some kind of error if it's not found or is having
problems of some sort.

I don't know anything about KPPP so I can't help there. But,...
If the setserial hack seems to be good, you could try something like
this:

	echo ATDT1-234-567-8901 > /dev/modem

using some phone number you know is safe to dial without waking up
someone who wouldn't appreciate it (!) and see if the modem dials,
or even if any of the lights on it blink.

If so, then that implies that you can talk to the serial port and
thence the modem. If so, then the problem wiht KPPP is something
other than the device not existing.