Re: USRobotics Modem Driver

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:55:24PM +0400, Harish Sabnani wrote:
> Hi All,
> My Linux 9 box is not detecting US Robotics External Modem, but in 8 it used too, I even tried Kudzu but no results, tried googling a bit but cant find the right way, Can anyone tell me which module I have to load? or how do I go about configuring this modem, help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Harish

I don't think the config tools do much for you, so it should be pretty
easy to set it up yourself.

1. Look in /dev to see if there's a /dev/modem.
2. if there is, it should be a symbolic link. see what serial port
   it points to (ls -l /dev/modem).
2.a if there is not, skip to step 4
3. if the port it points to is the one your modem is connected to,
   then you should be home free. Fire up some app that uses the modem,
   tell it to use /dev/modem, and see if it will fly. Depending on the
   app, you might (or might not) need to teach it some of the basic
   commands your modem uses. There should be config settings for this
   in any app that doesn't already know.
4. If not /dev/modem, or if it points to the wrong serial port, then
   remove it if it exists (rm -f /dev/modem). You'll need to be root for
   these steps.
5. create a new one that points to the right device. If your modem is on
   "com1", that is /dev/ttyS0, so make the new /dev/modem like this:

	ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

   and for "com2" it would be

	ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem

And that's about all that Kudzu does for you, AFAIK.

Of course, we're asssuming here that it's a real modem, with a real built
in "AT" command set. If not, then you're on your own.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?