Re: Question bout logrotate

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 10:10, cajun wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> One quick question bout logrotate, if someone could turn the light on
> for me I would be greatly in your debt.  In the example of logrotate
> they use the command killall.  Are they stopping the link between the
> log file and the process at this point?  The reason I am asking, I have
> a couple of logs that I want to add and was wondering if this is necessary?

I'm not sure what version of RH you're using, but RH9's logrotate
scripts use kill (on my box).  Either way, yes, a kill/killall -HUP
(interrupt signal) is used to stop the process (closing the write on the
old logfile), and start the process (opening the write on the new
logfile).

View the killall manpage to understand how it's different from kill.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting