Re: Mail server

At 03:11 10/24/2003, you wrote:
Hi everyone,

I Googled a lot and flipped through tons of pages but can't seem to find
what I'm looking for.
I recently bought my own domain name and put my HTTP and FTP servers up.

Now I'm trying to setup a mail server, which could be known as something
like "mail.mydomain.com". However I can't find any specific documentation
on how to do this.

First, make sure DNS works. For one, the name should resolve to the correct IP address (A record), and for another, the DNS system should know that this is machine is the Mail eXchanger for this domain (MX record).

Second, do your basic Sendmail configuration, which means primarily putting "mydomain.com" and "mail.mydomain.com" into /etc/mail/local-host-names. Don't put stuff into /etc/mail/relaydomains, and try to avoid allowing static relaying in /etc/mail/access... you will be doing relay control via SMTP AUTH.

Once that is done, take a look at this document, which will help you set up Sendmail so you can use it as a public mailserver with reasonable security and safety:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html

Finally, install the "imap" package from your Red Hat CD's which will provide the ability to check mail remotely via POP3 and IMAP protocols.

Note that these are quick notes, not comprehensive instructions. Once you've done all this, sending mail to "jsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx" should result in the message appearing in the user jsmith's mailbox.

Finally, I should comment on one of my favorite features of sendmail: the virtusertable. This is what allows you to have:

jsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx
john@xxxxxxxxxxxx
john.smith@xxxxxxxxxxxx
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx

all pointing to the user "jsmith". It also allows you to forward mail to outside addresses and to set up a "catch-all" address so that mail not properly addressed does not get bounced. Catch-alls are not good or bad in and of themselves... use them or not as you prefer.

Post again if you have any more questions.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx