Re: system time

A 22:27 23/10/2003 -0700, vous avez écrit :
>Hello everyone,
>I am a new bie to redhat linux.
>I have a problem regarding system time .The problem is
>that, I have to set system time at everyday.When set the system time
>using date command the time is set but after some time it is changed .
>Thanks in advance

some clues
- somebody else changes date too : find him ! might happen with some
cron'ed job calling some kind of time sync command
- you reboot and the system time is set from RTC which is not up to date :
compare system time to hardware clock ("date" vs "hwclock") eventually set
the h/w clock to the right time ("date --set" to set the system time then
"hwclock --systohc" to set rtc to the system time) -- another thing is that
the system assumes the h/w clock is running UTC but hwclock actually
doesn't -- another thing is you sometime boot another m$ os with different
time considerations
- the quartz is bad : check whether time lags quickly, for example every
hour you get 5 more (or less) minutes -- the system may though compute a
correct system time if the quartz is regular by handling drift information

hth