restore/backup/snapshot

hi...

trying to find out what's the best/good app for doing a complete
backup/restore of a system. basically, i want to be able to take a
"snapshot" of a system and then store it. i need the "snapshot" to be able
to allow me to restore the server back to state it was in when the
"snapshot" was taken....

i'm not that concerned with the data that might be on a given hard dive, as
i am with being able to know that the restored environment is a duplicate of
what i had previously.

it would actually be helpful to be able to make sure the base OS and the
supporting apps are properly captured as one part of the application, with
the other data/apps on the system being "captured" in a separate part of the
process. This kind of segmentation would actually allow us to restore a
machine to it's base config without needing to be concerned with the rest of
the apps that a user may have added to the machine. It would also provide a
method of restoring the other apps if we needed to....

we're willing to consider commercial apps, but we would prefer open source.
any suggestions would be appreciated....

thanks

bruce
bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx