Re: Slow connection to sendmail

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 08:23, Nathalie Boulos wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I have RH7.1 running sendmail, MailScanner and Sophos
> antivirus. It's been a while now, when I access the
> server via SSH, the password prompt takes time to
> appear.
> And also, when i send and receive email via ipop3d,
> the "connecting" phase takes too much time, and
> sending the messages in the outbox too.
> Although the mail server is on the same LAN.
>
> Any ideas?

Sounds like DNS problems.  First, I'd check to make sure that the first
nameserver listed in your /etc/resolv.conf is readily available and
reponding to direct queries.  You might have additional issues due to
ident, but it would require some network investigation on your part
(tcpdump).

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting