RE: RH 9 install issue

Smartstart? , must be a compaq proliant?

There are known issues with Compaq and Redhat, they keep
removing
from random releases the data files that are needed to deal
with the differences
between the way compaq does things hardware wise and the
rest of the planet.
had the same problems with 6.1, 7.2, 8.0, and 9.0. I think
it is a ploy to sell
you new compaq hardware. compaq provides the software to
redhat and compaq
certifies it but only for their latest systems. I have a ton
of compaq proliant here.
Not buying any more cause it is just to difficult to deal
with it's issues with Linux.

I got an errata cdrom from Redhat with the missing driver
support files for 6.1.
Contact REDHAT support, they should be able to point you at
the download file that you use
to boot redhat 9.0 that has the missing files as well.

Go plain text (or try beating it to death with the
installer) and then patch it
and fix the video later. check compaq's (HP.com) website
support area for redhat downloads.

redhat 9.0 installed flawlessly on two P3 proliant 1.4 GHZ
dual cpu system , DL320 i think,
had to try the installation 8 times on a a P3-600 1600
before I got it past the video hang
still some other problems. Different video chips for
starters.

tried to disable on board video and put in a new ATI RAGE
video card , followed
all the Redhat and compaq instructions for doing so
including trying all the PCI slots
and disabling the onboard. Never could get it to switch to
the new slotted card.
Googled the planet as well for answers...... another
unsolved mystery.

Jeffrey
>  Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 4:17 PM
>  To: 'redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx'
>  Subject: RE: RH 9 install issue
>

>  It was using windows 2000 at one time with no issues...i
had
>  already re-configured the machine with SmartStart to be
sure...

>  The monitor itself is fine..i can use it to view other
machine...

>  The server is usually attached to a KVM solution, but
when I
>  am installing, I am connected directly to the server...

monitor"
>  > status when installing.
>  > I have tried "linux lowres" and "linux 1024x768"
options on boot
>  > and also the text install to no avail..
>  >
>  > Any  assistance is appreciated.
>
>  Perhaps the hardware is bad (monitor itself, monitor
cable,