Re: New laptop, new problems

Jason Dixon wrote:

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 23:11, Hugh Taylor wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't sure what make/model you were referring to, and at the time, I only knew what I sent you. I believe the wireless card is an Askey Prism 2.5 mini-pci card. I have a message into the notebook mfg to make sure of this. I have seen posts on the mfgs site that state other versions of Linux (Mandrake, Gentoo) have detected the card on install. I'll let you know if I get more specific information.

What driver did Knoppix choose for your card (just curious). Regardless, you're going to want to use the linux-wlan project drivers,
they have much better support for the prism chipsets than any of the
"generic" drivers (including HostAP support). I suggest you download
and install the appropriate driver RPMs from this guy:

http://prism2.unixguru.raleigh.nc.us/

You'll want to install the kernel-wlan-ng base package, the appropriate
kernel-wlan-ng-modules package (to match your kernel), and the proper
interface package to support your hardware (pcmcia, usb or pci).

Took me a while to get back to it, anyway, I'm not sure which driver Knoppix is choosing (I'm good at some things with Linux, others I need to learn still). I went to the site posted and got the correct wlan project rpms, installed them, and still can't get the wireless card to work - any other suggestions (I'm willing to go read something and/or recompile the kernel if needed)? I might try a different distro, just to see if it detects the wireless - it might give me a better idea of what I need to do in RH.

Thanks for the help so far.

--

Hugh
mailto: hrtlist@xxxxxxxxxxxx