Mod_auth_mysql

I am having a few difficulties with mod_auth_mysql. The problem that I
seem to have is that I am using this on different servers to
authenticate back to a single mysql database. The 2 webservers I am
using are 2 different versions of redhat. One is 7.1 and the other is
7.3. My mysql database resides on a Redhat 8 machine. (Yes I know
someday I will get them all the same but now isnt practical time). If I
store passwords as plain text then all is fine, but if we try to encrypt
them I always get a password mismatch error when trying to authenticate.
I am using the following version on both machines.

mod_auth_mysql-1.11-1

I am using the following version of mysql and apache

mysql-3.23.56-1.80
apache-1.3.27-2

Here is my .htaccess file

AuthName "Password required"
AuthType Basic
AuthMySQLHost <ip address of mysql server>
AuthMySQLDB authdb
AuthMySQLUser myusername
AuthMySQLPassword mypassword
AuthMySQLUserTable mysql_auth_test
AuthMySQLNameField username
AuthMySQLPasswordField passwd
AuthMySQLGroupField groups
AuthMySQLCryptedPasswords on
require valid-user

When AuthMySQLCryptedPasswords=off all works well with plain passwords
but when it is set to on, with encrypted passwords, I get the following
error in Apache error log.

[Wed Oct 22 09:18:35 2003] [error] user richard: password mismatch:
/rich-test

Any ideas why password encryption isnt working with this setup?

Richard Humphrey