From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Reuben D. Budiardja
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 9:09 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Dealing with Power Outage: How to Shutdown cleanly

Hello,
We just had another 4 hours power outage here on campus last night. Some of
our servers and linux clusters were on UPS, but of course they failed after
while and uncleanly/crash shutdown. No one was here when this happens, since
we're don't have big IT support for the department, and pretty much I'm the
only guy who does the admins for the servers and cluster. I didn't even
realize we got a power outage until I came in late last night to pick up
something, and had to reboot and manually run fsck for some of the
workstation. What a pain..

This got me to thinking. Is there any way that a better UPS can help this
situation. I see that some UPS has an RS232 interface or USB, and some
software that can shutdown the machine on sustained power outage. I am
wondering if this can be done also with Redhat linux 7.x, and 9. What I want
is just somehow the UPS to signal the computer that it's on battery and
either the a script or UPS itself shut the machine down whenever it is on
Battery. I'm really ignorant on this case here, so any help is greatly
appreciated. Also, if there're recommendation for those UPS that works well
with linux.

Thanks.
RDB
--