RE: Dealing with Power Outage: How to Shutdown cleanly

Reuben
This is an area I have a lot of experience in. We have terrible power on the
island and I run a few servers in different buildings around here.

I am guessing that you are using 500-750 VA stand alone UPS units. My first
move woud be to dump those as they are more trouble than they are worth. Get
a 4-6 KVA unit with enough capacity to power your machines through the worst
outage you can reasonably expect. Then get a power monitoring system that
will send you an alert when the power goes out for more than, say, 20
minutes.

Keep it simple and stay away from fancy stuff, get simple and reliable stuff
with the ability to expand the battery capacity cheaply. Sealed 12v UPS
batteries are excellent with a 5 year life expectancy. Avoid a UPS with
little panasonic 12V batteries.

Chris Mason
masonc@xxxxxxxxxx
Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
Yahoo IM: netconcepts_anguilla@xxxxxxxxx
264 497-5670 Fax: 264 497-8463
www.netconcepts.ai