RE: tftp question

Sorry for the resubmit, but I never saw this hit the list....

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Murray [mailto:jmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 4:52 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: tftp question

Hi all,
I've had to set up a TFTP server on my RedHat 9 (fully updated) machine.  I
got the server installed and running, but it was not answering any TFTP
requests.  I ran a packet sniffer, and found that the requests were
arriving, but being ignored by the server.  Finally, while checking the
logs, I found this message in /var/log/messages:

in.tftpd[2225]: cannot set groups for user nobody

So, I ran 'tail -f messages' on the server and made another TFTP request to
the server and BINGO! the message "cannot set groups for user nobody"
appeared again.

Now, I know that (by default) in.tftpd runs as the user nobody.  I also know
how to change this in the /etc/xinetd.d/tftp file; my current work-around is
to have in.tftpd run as root Knowing that you security types (me being one
of them) just gasped in dismay, this brings me to my questions:

1.  Why am I getting the above error message?
2.  What is the best way to correct it?

I have also read that one should create a low-privilege user to run tftp as
(like tftpnobody for instance).  It looks like the easy way would be for me
to add a line to my /etc/passwd file; I know this worked in the past before
the days of shadow passwords, but I don't know if it still work now...

Best Regards,

Jason Murray
Senior Design Engineer
Promptus Communications, Inc