Re: wanna know my Lan card model

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 08:11, Jeff wrote:
> I'm not sure about cat'ing the pci directory but I've always used lspci
> and that detects the cards installed, not the drivers.

Actually, lspci uses /proc/bus/pci.  :)  Per the manpage...

"To make use of all the features of this program, you need to have Linux
kernel 2.1.82 or newer which supports the /proc/bus/pci interface. With
older kernels, the PCI utilities have to use direct hardware access
which is available only to root and it suffers from numerous race con-
ditions and other problems."

As far as I can tell (my memory fails me), the system uses the PCILIB
interface to get PCI ID information from the cards.  This information
can be resolved via the ID information gathered in
/usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting