Re: Install different libs for different C++ compilers?

Toralf Lund wrote:
I'd really like to be able to use this software *and* Red Hat 9/g++-3 apps utilising the same library functionality.

Maybe what I want is to put the libs on /usr/lib/i386-redhat-linux7/2.96 or similar...

I discussed the simple options... you may just be making one of those more complex than it needs to be.

You're not going to get the gcc 3 C++ libraries unless you compile your software an all of the libraries it depends on using that compiler. Your options, then are to build your software once with each compiler and end up with one set of binaries optimal for 7.3 (gcc 2.96) and another set for 9 (gcc 3), or you can build all of the software on 7.3 and get binaries that will work on either platform.

I suggest that you concentrate on the reason that you want to use the gcc 3 libraries. What do you stand to gain from recompiling with gcc 3? With that in mind, benchmark the differences between the binaries built by gcc 2.96 and those built by gcc 3 running on RHL 9. Whatever you hope to gain by your compiler contortions, you should be able to easily figure out whether or not it's worth the effort required.