Physical Memory is beeing filled (RH7.1)

Hi

When I check the memory status within "KDE Control Center" or just by the command "free" or "top", I can see how the physical memory is beeing filled every time something is written onto the harddisk. After the writing process, the physical memory is not beeing released anymore, that means that the physical memory is beeing filled up to 100%. After that the virtual memory starts to grow.

Examle: I copy some files from a cdrom to the harddisk - the physical memory increases. When I now delete the just written files again, the memory consumption decreases again. That's really weird, isn't it?

Does anyone have any idea what the reason for that could be?

- The same problem occoured after I recompiled my kernel (2.4.2-2).
- I installed a new kernel (2.4.20-20.7) --> still the same problem.

System Information:
- P4 2.6GHz
- 512MB RAM
- Linux RedHat 7.1