networking question

Group:
At home I have two computers with RH9 connected to a router (dhcp server) which connects to the internet through a dsl modem. In order to facilitate internal networking among the two computers, on installation I set both eth0 as trusted devices. Is that save? the router has a built in firewall which I configured to deny all external requests. How can I test the security (portscanning I guess) of the network? Is it save to trust completely the router for firewall purposes? which software do you recomend to keep a close control of what is going on in the network? and finally which is the recomended (easier and most secure) way for file sharing between these two computers or any other in the internal network? I have tried NFS but have had lots of problems to set it up and still doesn't work properly i.e. computers hanging, superslow data transfer and so on.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Felipe Leon.