Raid and OS together - performace drop or not ?

Hi All,

I would like to know from you gurus out there if there will be a performace
drop when the operating system is located along with a RAID array in time
when any paging ( swap ) operations are done. I read a article in a website
which had references to prove that the performace drops when you run the
operating system along with a raid which is serving the data.

Even in a trial testing installation which i did to test this out i found a
performance drop. But still for confirming with this if anyone can shed some
light on this it will be much useful. ( May be my installtion was wrong
:-D )

Can anyone please guide me with this ??

Thanks in advance,

Regds,