Suspected hard drive crash

My house mates computer Running Redhat 9 failed to boot yesterday,
booting to a command prompt asking for root password or ctrl-D to
continue.

I entered the password and ran fsck /dev/hda1 and dev/hda2 and found
lots of errors on hda2.  Answered yes to all the prompts and then exit
to reboot when done.

Upon reboot, I got a ncurses error screen from gdm asking me to fix its
conf file.  This is beyond my capabilities but am willing to learn.  How
do I go about diagnosing and correcting this?

Michael Campbell