Re: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

Otto Haliburton wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Bret Hughes
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:49 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

On Thu, 2003-10-16 at 11:32, Gordon Messmer wrote:

Otto Haliburton wrote:

I don't know where you been bud. One of the complaints is that linux

is for

programmers and tech people and not for the masses cause you need

someone of

a technical frame to fix it cause it breaks everything. So grow up to
reality. Acceptance into the wide community requires that it works

out of

the box for everyone and you don't need a technical person to get it

work. Get your facts straight, people of a technical nature accept it

but it

ain't number one.

Who are these non-technical people who are concerned about mixing
objects from different versions of the g++ compiler?

LOL

Bret

The above attitude is the one that causes people to worry about using linux
period. Look at this way, you decide to drop Microsoft and go to linux, for
whatever reasons. You get there and decide to use version 7.3 and build
your apps using the default compiler that comes with 7.3. You get
everything working with some effort. Some A.H. comes along and says you
ought to upgrade to version 9 and you do and get the default compiler with
that version and in order to take advantage of the new version you rebuild
all of your apps and they neither compile and definitely won't run. This is
the non-technical person that does that. He did it all the time with the
other OS (MS), but this new and great OS doesn't allow him to do something
simple without causing him grief. That's the problem that RH has faced with
open source and it is the reason that large numbers of common users will not
make the switch.

I agree with much of what you say, but:

I don't think compatibility between releases can be used as an argument for using MS Windows instead of Linux. MS is known to be notorious when it comes to requiring users to upgrade *everything* when a new OS version is released (the "95" in Windows 95 was the number of existing programs that would actually work, or the percentage that didn't, remember...) In fact, this is why I get especially annoyed when I see similar things on Linux; I particularily dislike it when I see something that reminds me of some of the worst sides of Windows.

- Toralf