Re: SendMail GUI

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 10:53 10/16/2003, you wrote:
> >Get off your soapbox.  I offered an alternative suggestion, and even
> >warned him of the qmail mailing list.
>
> I disagreed vehemently with the suggestion. I am very competent as a user
> and a fair shake as a sysadmin... and qmail, qmail-users, and several
> individual qmail users I know are all just plain nasty, hostile, and
> difficult to deal with. That's fine if it's your cup of tea and you have
> the knowledge to handle it. However, it is NOT, repeat NOT, what I would
> recommend to someone who is just starting out and can't even modify
> sendmail to accept remote SMTP connections.
>
> Alternatives are a great thing... I'm currently learning postfix myself,
> and I've run a qmail-based system for over a year. It's just my personal
> opinion, after having been forced to endure that year and having to deal
> with qmail's many related idiosyncracies and idiocies, that your
> alternative... well, sucks.

<Wading into the deep water>...
I fully agree with Rodolfo.  Sendmail is my personal choice by far.
However, it can be complicated and confusing for even experienced users
unless they are willing to put the effort in to understand it.  It can do
virtually anything one could hope for but that comes with a degree of
complexity that may not be justified for a new user (just look at the size
of O'Reilly's bat book).

On the other hand Postfix is much easier to setup and configure.  It does
the job for most people and is included in RH 9 as an alternative MTA.  If
I remember correctly it's a simple command to switch between sendmail and
postfix under RH 9.

Qmail is not something that I would recommend to a newcomer.  While I'm
sure it has its good points the Qmail community has a reputation for being
somewhat intolerant.

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer