Re: slow ethernet

As Jason states, make sure you are not using auto-negotiation at all. Hard set the speed and duplex settings both in the switch and the NIC.

Another item to try is setting both the switch port and the NIC to 100 Half Duplex. There are serious flow control issues with 100 MB FD Ethernet (actually it has to do with lack of consistent flow control caused by each vendor using slightly different implementations of FD flow control).

--Moby