Re: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

Otto Haliburton wrote:

And further, I could understand the problem if it was different vendors. Imagine the problems if you bought a Borland compiler and then upgraded to a latter version of the same compiler and it didn't work. That's what you have here and that is totally unacceptable. It's okay if Borland c++ and GCC c++ are incompatible you sort of expect that, although if they are using the same standards they shouldn/t.

As the last thing I'd like to say in this thread, take a look at the hoops C++ developers are expected to jump through to build objects that are binary compatible:

http://aegisknight.org/cppinterface.html

No STL.
No exceptions.
No vitual destructors.
Don't overload methods.

...might as well drop the charade and just write in C.

And that's on win32, where there's a "stable" binary interface.