RE: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

> Look at it this way.  You should be able to move a c++ (not g++) compiler to
> any version of RH and it works!!! LIB's and all period, no explanation
> needed.  Fact, it doesn't.  The question is why.  The explanation is that it

Actually, it does.  If you were to use the same version of g++ on RH9 that
was used in RH7, and use the same libraries, it would work fine.

> is native to c++ and only c++ was stated.  I was pointing out that actually
> it is a problem of the community that I believe is related to the resources
> available to the developers.  The individual in question made a statement
> that effectively, it should be accepted without complaints and I said and I
> still say that is dumb.  This needs to be fixed to where anyone can select a
> new compiler and not worry that it will break everything else and you need

Now that C++ has been standardized and the standard is fairly fixed, you
will start to see this happen.  Multiple vendors have finally agreed upon
on ABI.  Yes, it is specific to C++, because the standard was in flux and
there wasn't vendor agreement.

> resources to test it against all previous versions.  If you don't then no
> one will accept open community software period.

That is one of the stupidest comments I've ever seen.  Now matter what
your opinion is of it, many people have obviously accepted community
software.  To ignore that is to be ignorant.

Jon