RE: SNMP + MRTG... WTF?

First off, it WORKED! Thanks to Brett and Steve for the key pieces of help. Of course, some further questions on the subject for resolution:

At 05:23 10/15/2003, you wrote:
You might consider running a less restrictive snmpd until you get things
figured out, try changing the sec.model section to any. i.e.

group     MyRWGroup     any     local
group     MyROGroup     any      mynetwork

Now you can make a v1 or v2c type query.

Based on the error messages (many hundreds of them) which I got from MRTG in the course of testing, it seems like MRTG uses v1 queries. Nevertheless, I set this to "any" as you suggested, which is fine except for two errors in /var/log/messages when snmpd is restarted. Those errors say:

Oct 13 21:11:26 apollo ucd-snmp[22520]: /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 76: Error: bad security model "any" should be: v1, v2c or usm - installing anyway
Oct 13 21:11:26 apollo ucd-snmp[22520]: /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf: line 77: Error: bad security model "any" should be: v1, v2c or usm - installing anyway

What should I do here to correct this error and make it go away?

Also, three more questions, now directly related to the MRTG output:

1. "The statistics were last updated... blah, blah... at which time 'apollo.paiz.org' had been up for 2:01:10." The actual uptime is around 12 days... where is snmpd/mrtg getting its data, and how can I make sure that it gets the correct data?

2. I have a screen resolution of 1400x1050 on my notebook, and 1280x1024 on my desktop. The charts seem to be optimized for 640x480 or something... they look tiny. Can I either make them larger, or maybe put two interface charts side by side? (This box only has two interfaces, so being able to see both at once would be nice too.)

3. I have a 256 Kbps link... should I set MaxBytes to exactly 32000 or 32768? I know it's for display only, but what is the _correct_ value?

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx