modprobe using 99% cpu

I have a really odd problem with a Dell GX300 and RH73.

Modprobe runs at what seems to be random times and goes into some sort of loop. It can't be killed and uses up almost all of the cpu.  There are no errors and nothing in the logs that look like they would have anything to do with modprobe. ALl I have been able to do is renice or reboot.  Rebooting never lasts more than 24 hours.

I have Gooled this to death and can't find anything even remotely similar.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be causing modprobe to act this way?  A guess would be better than what I have now.

Thanks
    Robert