Re: C++ lib compatibility between Red Hat 9 and 7.3

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

Are the DSOs C++?

Yes, that's what I said, wasn't it?

RH9 uses an updated libstdc++ which can cause problems. Also, if you are
exporting anything but "c"-style functions declared with extern c or
whatever that is, you will NOT have compatibility at all. There is some
work for a standard C++ ABI, but it's still a little fluid.

So you're basically saying that I have to compile *all* my C++ code for Red Hat 9 (i.e. gcc 3)?

Is there really no way around this? I notice that the *runtime* linker is quite happy to accept binaries from Red Hat 7.3 (gcc 2), but ld doesn't seem to like them at all ;-( Or maybe that's not entirely accurate. If an application and all the DSOs are compiled on 7.3, the software certainly runs on 9; I'm not sure what happens if you mix binaries from the two versions (e.g. by replacing one of the DSOs without relinking the app.)

--
- Toralf