RE: Sturman Industries Alerts

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Rik Thomas wrote:

> Since we are being pedantic...
>
> And it is also considered bad form to digitally sign a post to a mailing
> list.  Please refrain from doing so, all attachments to mailing lists
> for that matter are bad form.

When did that happen?

Digital signatures are important.  (This is not signed because I am on a
system without my signing key.)  E-mail is forgable.  You obviously have
not been on a list where someone decided to start a flame war by faking
messages by members of the list.

Such forgeries have happened on security lists.

The problem that the particular site was having was stupid anti-virus
software that cannot figure out what a digital signature was and dropped
the message.

I have seen security notices bounce because the anti-virus software was
ignorant of signatures.

That is bad.

Then again, I have also seen the maintainers of ftp servers make the same
claim about signatures on source tarballs "cluttering up their ftp
server".  (This was on a source tarball distributed by Redhat and almost
every other distro out there.)  How many trojans in major packages have we
seen in the last few years?  Too damn many!

Don't bitch about signing messages until you have a better grasp of why
people use them.