Re: populate local IMAP from remote POP?

First, I have a hosting company that hosts 5 email accounts, how can I pull
the mail from those accounts and have them placed into the associated
accounts on my server. When mail is sent from my server how do I get it have
it routed so that it appears to come from my hosting company so that replies
go there?

use fetchmail to retrieve the mail to your local accounts. For outgoing mail you can either setup your mail client to put the appropriate From: or reply-to: addresses or you can configure sendmail / postfix to automatically rewrite addresses... like localuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -> remoteuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Second, can a company host mail in such a way that all email for a hosted
domain despite the username is placed into a single mail box, and is it
possible to use fetchmail or a similar application to split this mail up by
account on the local IMAP server?

yes, this is called a multidrop pop box. The problems with it are described in the fetchmail documentation. Basically it doesn't work well for bcc: mail or mailing list mail where the recepient email address is not in the mail headers.

If anyone knows of the actually terminology, FAQs, DOCs or anything I can
read to learn more about this it would be greatly appreciated.

you want the fetchmail documentation and the MTA documentation on virtual domains and address re-writing. Sendmail and procmail both have sections on this.