RE: RPM Installed SpamAssassin

I just finished setting up SA for my company and let me tell you it's a
god send! I don't use PostFix as I have always used Sendmail and though
there is little documentation for this setup, as long as Sendmail is
using procmail for local delivery it works fine.

Ok, three steps:
1. setup Sendmail to use procmail for local mail
2. make a good procmailrc that will properly call SA
3. setup your local.cf in /etc/mail/spamassassin

Step 1
Using the sendmail.mc, edit the file and add MAILER(procmail)dnl at the
end (right above any Cw entry though). You can leave in the
MAILER(local)dnl I think but to be safe (and cause procmail is doing the
job anyway) I removed it from mine. Backup your current sendmail.cf and
then do 'm4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf'. Do any custom edits that you did
in the old sendmail.cf (if any).

Step 2
Create a procmailrc file in /etc (default location it looks for one) if
one isn't there. Add the following:

#######################
DROPPRIVS=yes
#Uncomment the following lines to allow for logging
#
#LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail
#VERBOSE=ON

# SpamAssassin
#
# Pipe the mail through spamassassin (replace 'spamassassin' with
'spamc'
# if you use the spamc/spamd combination)
#
# The condition line ensures that only messages smaller than 250 kB
# (250 * 1024 = 256000 bytes) are processed by SpamAssassin. Most spam
# isn't bigger than a few k and working with big messages can bring
# SpamAssassin to its knees.
#
# The lock file ensures that only 1 spamassassin invocation happens
# at 1 time, to keep the load down.
#
:0fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 256000
| spamc
#######################
There are other things you can have in the procmailrc that will help but
that is the basic entry that should get procmail to filter through
spamassassin.

Save the file and continue...

Step 3
You need to define the basic settings in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
and to do this go here: http://www.yrex.com/spam/spamconfig.php. That
will make you a basic set of rules that you can cut and paste into the
file above.

After the above do:
service spamassassin start ###or restart
service sendmail restart

You should then be good to go (but as always YMMV). For step three I'd
recommend setting it to med level (7.5) till you see how it's working. I
have it set to 5.5 here and get a 97.5% tag rate on spam. Not to shabby.
:D

More documentation on SpamAssassin can be found at:
http://au2.spamassassin.org/index.html

Good luck! :)

Paul Pettit
CTO, CCB Inc.