RE: Daemon restart by non-root user

Amble
>  Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 5:53 PM
>  To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>  Subject: Daemon restart by non-root user
>

>  I have a daemon which is started automatically during the
>  system boot-up
>  (it is in /etc/rc.d/init.d). During the life of the
daemon users can
>  change the configuration because of which the daemon will
have to be
>  restarted. All processes which are part of Daemon are
owned
>  by root and
>  hence non-root users cannot kill and consequently restart
fails. Can
>  anyone suggest a way to handle this? I am using RH7.2 for
>  those who care.
>
>  Thanks for all the help
>
>  Srini

Presuming you have access to source code......

have the daemon process check the modify time on the config
file or record
iF it changed since the last time it looked or booted, then
have the daemon reread the file
and reset itself.

OR Move it from an RC based process to an INIT run process
(inittab and have it exit and auto restart
upon config file changes.