Re: List of "user-level" root commands?

%% Paul Barclay <paul.barclay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  pb> I would not restrict usage on any individual system, this will
  pb> just lead to frustration on the developers part.

Well, this is not actually the conversation I want to have: I'm hoping
someone can provide input on my original question...?

However, FWIW, the decision has not been made and I'm still arguing for
significantly looser restrictions (like sudo shell or something).  But,
if that doesn't fly I'd prefer to have a backup people could live with
rather than having no access at all.  There's no question this will lead
to frustration but avoiding frustration is not necessarily the primary
motivation behind these decisions...

  pb> What are you trying to protect on individual systems?

Well, IS cares whether people screw around with their systems because
they have to support it, and the further away from the "standard
deployment" any given desktop is, the more time it takes to support, and
TIME == $$.  But, I don't think this is that big of a deal and if that
were all we had to worry about this would not be an issue.

No one is trying to protect anything on individual systems.  But, we
have a heavily networked environment with massive uses of NFS: virtually
anything of any importance, from developer workspaces right over to
peoples' home directories, is accessed through NFS.

Allowing root on desktops gives users with that access almost unlimited
power on NFS filesystems and there's absolutely no way to avoid it
(except not using NFS which is not feasible).  There is also no way to
track who might have performed any malicious action.  This is a real and
serious security consideration.

  pb> Consider a Windows solution instead as they are quite up on
  pb> resticting user activities.

It's funny you should mention this because one of my primary arguments
for root on the desktop is that all our Windows users have Windows
Administrator privileges on their desktop Windows boxes.

However, Administrator privileges on a Windows system gives you
_significantly_ less power than root on a UNIX system (of any type), in
an NFS environment especially.  Windows Administrator users can always
only impact their own system.  If there were an equivalent level of
access in UNIX that would be good, but there isn't, so here we are.

Of course, we all know (as do the security folks) that denying root
access to users is futile: since we don't restrict physical access to
our desktops and network ports it would be the work of but a few seconds
for any user who _wanted_ to, to get root on a UNIX box on the network.

However, there's an issue of liability and legal responsibility: if you
can show you used a due diligence and made an honest effort to keep
people out, as opposed to handing out the keys to everyone, you're in
much better shape should anything actually happen.

Anyway, all of this is really beside the point: I'm just trying to find
out if anyone's collected any list of "reasonable" root-level commands
that users would legitimately need to run on a day-to-day basis.  Some
obvious ones I can think of are mount and umount, for example.  Also
probably lsmod, insmod, rmmod (for our development).  I think rpm would
be very important.  Some command to allow people to manage their X setup
(screen resolution, etc.)  Etc.